Hannah Nelson
Hannah Nelson
How to Notify the IRS of Your Change of Address

How to Notify the IRS of Your Change of Address

You have moved, whether it’s across the country or across the street, and have notified USPS of this address change, but you’re wondering, is that enough? Does the IRS have this new address? The answer is… probably not.

The USPS and the IRS do not always talk to each other. While the IRS does have access to new addresses through the National Change of Address Database, there is no guarantee how long it will take for this information to be updated and put into the IRS system.  Furthermore, the IRS has no obligation to find a taxpayer or to seek out new address information. This is critical, especially regarding receiving an IRS notice. If you have moved and have not filed a tax return with your new address, any notices accumulated from prior tax years will be sent to your old address, and you may not actually receive them. All the IRS is obligated to do is to send a notice to the last known address on file for the taxpayer. Once it has been sent, it now becomes the taxpayer’s responsibility, therefore, you must notify the IRS directly.  You want to make sure you are not missing any pertinent information or notices form the IRS, especially ones dealing with liabilities and discrepancies.

Let’s make sure you cover your bases! You have a couple of options on how to update your address:

  1. Notify via Telephone Call
    1. The IRS will ask your sensitive information to verify you are the taxpayers and/or are authorized to make this change. Examples include:
      1. Full name
      2. New address
      3. Old address
      4. Date of Birth
      5. Social Security Number (SSN) / ITIN / Employer Identification number (EIN)
  2. Notify via Written Statement
    1. The IRS will ask your sensitive information to verify you are the taxpayers and/or are authorized to make this change. You will need to include the following information with your statement:
      1. Full name
      2. Old Address
      3. New Address
      4. Social Security Number (SSN) / ITIN / Employer Identification number (EIN)
  3. Notify via IRS Form
    1. You can personally send in a Form 8822, or the Form 8822-B (Business), or have an authorized representative send in one of these forms.

The most efficient, and popular option, is to file a Form 8822/8822-B. As your CPA firm, we can handle your change of address by filing a Form 8822 or Form 8822-B straight to the IRS from our office to make the move even easier for you.

The same goes for changing your address with the respective state(s) in which you file returns. Form 8822 and 8822-B are only used for the IRS and are not recognized on the state level. If you own a business, you must not only notify the IRS, but the state you file in as well. For example, to notify the state of Texas about an address change for your business, you will need to file with the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts. Otherwise, a taxpayer who ONLY files a personal 1040, will not have to notify their state. The 8822 will cover you across all states you file in, whether you file only in Texas or in multiple states.

If you choose to make this change on your own, feel free to contact us with any questions about this process and how to navigate communication to the IRS and or the state(s) you file with.

is the largest, locally owned public accounting firm in San Antonio, Texas, with branch offices in Boerne and New Braunfels. We have been serving our community since 1991. We are a full-service CPA firm dedicated to providing a broad range of tax, audit, bookkeeping, tax controversy, and consulting services with superior customer service to help our clients meet their goals and objectives. Please click here to set an appointment with us.

Have Any Questions?