Kelly Boswell, CPA, shared tips on preventing IRS identity theft with the Boerne Business Monthly readers, in her article titled, “When Someone Tries to Steal Your Tax Refund.” Below is a list compiled of helpful ways to minimize your chances of it happening to you:
1. File your tax return as early as possible.
2. Avoid IRS impersonators. The IRS will not call you or send unsolicited emails.
3. Keep your computer secure. Use a firewall, virus protection, and always password-protect sensitive data.
4. Avoid Phishing and Malware. Open attachments only if you know who sent it and what it contains. Go directly to websites rather than using links and use a pop-up blocker.
5. Protect your personal information. Your social security card or other documents with your SSN. Shred old documents.
To read the full article please visit the Boerne Business Monthly’s Online Publication, page 12:
Boerne (830) 815-1100
616 E. Blanco, Suite 300e
Boerne, Texas 78006 Map It
CONTACT US TODAY.
San Antonio (210) 829-1300
8610 N. New Braunfels, Suite 101
San Antonio, Texas 78217 Map It
New Braunfels (830) 387-4441
672 Ridge Hill Dr., Suite B
New Braunfels, Texas 78130 Map It